- College of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Department Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Department of Biochemistry and Genetics
- Department of Environmental Medicine
- Department of Epidemiology and Statistics
- Department of General Medicine and Social Medicine
- Department of Immunology
- Department of Neurobiology
- Department of Pathogenic Microbiology
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Sciences Engineering of TCM
- Department of Toxicology and Nutrition
- Faculty of Basic Medicine
- Faculty of Dental Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of the First Clinical Medicine
- Faculty of the Second Clinical Medicine
- Faculty of the Third Clinical Medicine
- Institute of Genetics
- The Affiliated Children’s Hospital
- The Affiliated Dental Hospital
- The Affiliated Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital
- The Affiliated Woman’s Hospital
- The First Affiliated Hospital
- The Institute of Translational Medicine
- The Second Affiliated Hospital
9/1993-6/1997 Ph.D. in Pathophysiology,.Zhejiang Medical School, Zhejiang, PR China.
9/1984-10/1987 M.Phil. in immunology & microbiology, Institute of Microbiology & Epidemiology, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing, PR China.
3/1978-12/1982 B.M., Zhejiang Medical School, Zhejiang, PR China.
07/2005-present. Executive Associate Dean, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, China.
12/2001-present. Professor and Chair, Department of Neurobiology, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, China.
12/1999-11/2001: Lecturer and Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, USA.
7/1996-11/1999: Associate Professor and Professor, Department of Neurobiology, Zhejiang Medical University (till Sept., 1998) and Zhejiang University School of Medicine, China.
1/1993-6/1996: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, USA.
11/1987-12/1992: Assistant Professor, Department of Pathophysiology, Zhejiang Medical University, China.
1/1983-8/1984: Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaihua County's Hospital, Zhejiang, China
Focus on the cellular and molecular mechanisms of synapse function, especially on the signal transduction mechanisms of glutamate receptor channels and their roles in synaptogenesis and synaptic plasticity. In particular, interested in the structure-functional correlations of various subunits of NMDA receptors regulating the assembly, trafficking, and synaptic delivery of the NMDA receptor during synaptogenesis and synaptic plasticity.
PUBLICATIONS (*corespondance author)
1. Shujun Xu, Suya Zhou, Di Xia, Jianxia Xia,Gang Chen, Shumin Duan, Jianhong Luo*. Defects of Synaptic Vesicle Turnover at Excitatory and Inhibitory Synapses in Niemann-Pick C1-Deficient Neurons, submitted.
2. Shao Xin, Lijun Zhu, Wenhai Wang, Yubin Wang, Jia Zhu, Ying Shen, Jun Xia, and Jianhong Luo*. Threonine 82, a Potential Phosphorylation Site at the PDZ Domain of PICK1, is Critical for AMPA Receptor Interaction and Localization, submitted.
3. Su-ya Zhou, Shu-jun Xu, Ying-gang Yan, Hui-mei Yu, Shu-cai Ling, Jianhong Luo*. Decreased purinergic inhibition of synaptic activity in a mouse model of Niemann-Pick Disease Type C, revised.
4. Shuang Qiu, Xiao-min Zhang, Jing-yuan Cao, Wei Yang, Ying-gang Yan, Ling Shan, Jie Zheng , and Jianhong Luo* (2009) An Endoplasmic Reticulum Retention Signal Located in the Extracellular Amino-terminal Domain of the NR2A Subunit of N-Methyl-D-aspartate Receptors. J. Biol. Chem. 284(30):20285-20298
5. Ai-hong Song, Dong Wang, Gang Chen, Yu-Ju Li, Jianhong Luo, Shumin Duan and Mu-ming Poo, A selective filter for cytoplasmic transport at the axon initial segment. Cell, 2009, 136 (6):1148-1160
6. Huayi Bai, Jun Cao, Na Liu, Lin Xu, and Jianhong Luo*, Sexual behavior modulates contextual fear memory through dopamine D1/D5 receptors, Hippocampus. 2009, 19(3):289-98.
7. Ying Gao, Huili Han, Ruchang Xu, Jun Cao, Luo JH*, Lin Xu Effects of prolonged exposure to context following contextual fear conditioning on synaptic properties in rat hippocampal slices Neuroscience Research 2008, 61:385–389.
8. Liu CQ, Hu DN, Liu FX, Chen Z, Luo JH*. Apomorphine-induced turning behavior in 6-hydroxydopamine lesioned rats is increased by histidine and decreased by histidine decarboxylase, histamine H(1) and H(2) receptor antagonists, and an H(3) receptor agonist. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2008, 90:325–330
9. Zhifang Dong, Weixia Zhong, Meng Tian, Huili Han, Rongrong Mao, Jun Cao, Nan Sui, Tianle Xue, Jianhong Luo, Lin Xu Morphine withdrawal affects both delayed-escape behaviour in Morris water maze and hippocampal NR2A/2B expression ratio Brain Research, 2008, 1207C:164-173.
10. Ning W, Xu SJ, Chiang H, Xu ZP, Zhou SY, Yang W, Luo JH*,.Effects of GSM 1800 MHz on dendritic development of cultured hippocampal neurons.Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2007 Dec;28(12):1873-80.
11. Liu CQ, Chen Z, Liu FX, Hu DN, Luo JH*, Involvement of brain endogenous histamine in degeneration of dopaminergic neurons in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rats, Neuropharmacology, 2007 Dec;53(7):832-41. Epub 2007 Aug 25.
12. Welch JM, Lu J, Rodriguiz RM, Trotta NC, Peca J, Ding JD, Feliciano C, Chen M, Adams JP, Luo JH, Dudek SM, Weinberg RJ, Calakos N, Wetsel WC, Feng G. Cortico-striatal synaptic defects and OCD-like behaviours in Sapap3-mutant mice. Nature. 2007 Aug 23;448(7156):894-900.
13. FENG Zhou-yan, CHEN Wei-dong, YE Xue-song, ZHANG Shao-min, ZHENG Xiao-jing,WANG Peng, JIANG Jun, JIN Lin, XU Zhi-jian, LIU Chun-qing, LIU Fu-xin, LUO Jian-hong, ZHUANG Yue-ting, ZHENG Xiao-xiang A remote control training system for rat navigation in complicated environment Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A, 2007 8(2):323-330
14. Gao Y, Liu SS, Qiu S, Cheng W, Zheng J, Luo JH*. Fluorescence resonance energy transfer analysis of subunit assembly of the ASIC channel.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Jul 20;359(1):143-50.
15. Liu L, Zhang S, Zhu Y, Fu Q, Zhu Y, Gong Y, Ohtsu H, Luo JH, Wei E, Chen Z. Improved learning and memory of contextual fear conditioning and hippocampal CA1 long-term potentiation in histidine decarboxylase knock-out mice Hippocampus. 2007;17(8):634-41.
16. Ding S, Luo JH, Yuan XB. Semaphorin-3F attracts the growth cone of cerebellar granule cells through cGMP signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 May 18;356(4):857-63. Epub 2007 Mar 21.
17. Han W, Li L, Qiu S, Lu Q, Pan Q, Gu Y, Luo JH, Hu X. Shikonin circumvents cancer drug resistance by induction of a necroptotic death. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007 May;6(5):1641-9.
18. Li L, Han W, Gu Y, Qiu S, Lu Q, Jin J, Luo JH, Hu X. Honokiol Induces a Necrotic Cell Death through the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore. Cancer Res. 2007 May 15;67(10):4894-903.
19. Wei Yang, Chanying Zheng, Qilin Song, Xiujuan Yang, Shuang Qiu, Chunqing Liu, Zhong Chen, Shumin Duan, and Jianhong Luo*. A Three Amino Acid Tail Following the TM4 Region of the N-Methyl-D-aspartate Receptor (NR) 2 Subunits Is Sufficient to Overcome Endoplasmic Reticulum Retention of NR1-1A Subunit Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2007 Mar 23;282(12):9269-78
20. Dong ZF, Zhong WX, Tian M, Han HL, Cao J, Xu TL, Luo JH*, Xu L* 2006. Stress evoked by opiate withdrawal facilitates hippocampal LTP in vivo. Hippocampus 16(12), 1017-1025.
21. Shen Y, Hu WW, Fan YY, Dai HB, Fu QL, Wei EQ, Luo JH, Chen Z. Carnosine protects against NMDA-induced neurotoxicity in differentiated rat PC12 cells through carnosine-histidine-histamine pathway and H(1)/H(3) receptors. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007 Mar 1;73(5):709-17.
22. Haibin Dai, Zhongmiao Zhang, Yongping Zhu, Yao Shen, Weiwei Hu, Yuwen Huang, Jianhong Luo, Henk Timmerman, Rob Leurs and Zhong Chen. Histamine protects against NMDA-induced necrosis in cultured cortical neurons through H2 receptor/cyclic AMP/protein kinase A and H3 receptor/GABA release pathways. J Neurochem, 2006, 96, 1390–1400
23. Jin CL, Zhuge ZB, Wu DC, Zhu YY, Wang S, Luo JH, Chen Z Lesion of the tuberomammillary nucleus E2-region attenuates postictal seizure protection in rats. Epilepsy Res. 2006 Nov 30
24. Shen Y, Zhu LJ, Liu SS, Zhou SY, Luo JH*. Interleukin-2 inhibits NMDA receptor-mediated currents directly and may differentially affect subtypes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 351:449-54.
25. Chan-ying ZHENG, Xiu-juan YANG, Zhan-yan FU, Jian-hong Luo* Phorbol-induced surface expression of NR2A subunit homologues in HEK293 cells, Acta Pharmacol Sin.,2006，27(12):1580–1585
26. Li-Jun Yao, Gang Wang, Kunfu Ouyang, Chao-Liang Wei, Xianhua Wang, Shi-Rong Wang, Wei Yao, Hong-Ping Huang, Jian-Hong Luo, Caihong Wu, Jie Liu, Zhuan Zhou and He-Ping Cheng. Ca2+ sparks and Ca2+ glows in superior cervical ganglion neurons, Acta Pharmacol Sin., 2006 Jul;27(7):848-52
27. Weixia Zhong, Zhifang Dong, Meng Tian, Jun Cao, Lin Xu, and Jianhong Luo*, N-merthyl-D-aspartate receptor-dependent long-term potentiation in CA1 region affects aynaptic expression of glutamate receptor subunits and associated proteins in the whole hippocampus, Neuroscience, 2006 Sep 1;141(3):1399-413.
28. Weixia Zhong, Zhifang Dong2, Meng Tian, Jun Cao, Tianle Xu, Lin Xu, Jianhong Luo* Opiate withdrawal alters expression levels of GluR1 and GluR2/3 of the AMPA receptors at hippocampal synapses, Life Sciences, 2006, 79(9):861-869.
29. Shujun Xu, Wei Ning, Zhengping Xub Suya Zhou, Huai Chiang, Jianhong Luo*, Chronic exposure to GSM 1800-MHz microwaves reduces excitatory synaptic activity in cultured hippocampal neurons Neuroscience Letters 2006 May 8;398(3):253-7. Epub 2006 Jan 27
30. Gao Q, Pan HY, Qiu S, Lu Y, Bruce IC, Luo JH, Xia Q. Atractyloside and 5-hydroxydecanoate block the protective effect of puerarin in isolated rat heart. Life Sci. 2006, 79(3):217-24
31. Ge QF, Wei EQ, Zhang WP, Hu X, Huang XJ, Zhang L, Song Y, Ma ZQ, Chen Z, Luo JH. Activation of 5-lipoxygenase after oxygen-glucose deprivation is partly mediated via NMDA receptor in rat cortical neurons. J Neurochem. 2006, 97(4):992-1004.
32. Jin CL, Yang LX, Wu XH, Li Q, Ding MP, Fan YY, Zhang WP, Luo JH, Chen Z. Effects of carnosine on amygdaloid-kindled seizures in Sprague-Dawley rats. Neuroscience. 2005, 135(3):939-47
33. Zhu LJ, Somlo G, Zhou BS, Shao JM, Bedell V, Slovak ML, Liu XY, Luo JH, Yen Y，Fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 inhibition by short hairpin RNAs leads to apoptosis in multiple myeloma MOLECULAR CANCER THERAPEUTICS 2005, 4 (5): 787-798
34. Shuang Qiu, Yu-lin Hua, Fan Yang, Yi-zhang Chen, and Jian-hong Luo* (2005) Subunit Assembly of N-Methyl-D-aspartate Receptors Analyzed by Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer JBC 280(26):24923–24930
35. Jin CL, Sakurai E, Kiso Y, Luo JH, Yanai K, Chen Z. Influence of low dietary histamine on seizure development of chemical kindling induced by pentylenetetrazol in rats. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005, 26(4):423-7
36. Shu-jun XU, Zhong CHEN, Li-jun ZHU, Hai-qing SHEN, Jian-hong LUO*, Visual recognition memory is related to basic expression level of NMDA receptor NR1/NR2B subtype in hippocampus and striatum of rats, Acta Pharmacol Sin 2005; 26(2): 177-180
37. Li-Jun Zhu, Zhong Chen, Li-Shan Zhang, Shu-Jun Xua, A-Jing Xub, Jian-Hong Luo*, Spatiotemporal changes of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunitlevels in rats with pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures. Neuroscience Letters. 356:53–56，2004
38. Gabriele Losi, Kate Prybylowski, Zhanyan Fu, Jian-Hong Luo, Robert J. Wenthold and Stefano Vicini (2003) PSD-95 regulates NMDA receptors in developing cerebellar granule neurons of the rat, J Physiol, 2003, 548:21-9.
39. Kate Prybylowski, Fu ZY, Gabriele Losi, Lynda M. Hawkins, Jian-Hong Luo, Kai Chang, Robert J.Wenthold, and Stefano Vicini (2002) Relationship between availability of NMDA receptor subunits and their expression at the synapse. J. Neurosci., 22 (20): 8902-8910
40. Jian-Hong Luo, Fu ZY, Losi G, Kim BG, Prybylowski K, Vissel B, and Vicini S (2002) Functional expression of distinct NMDA channel subunits tagged with green fluorescent protein in hippocampal neurons in culture, Neurophamacol, 42:306-318.
41. Losi G, Prybylowski K, Fu ZY, Jian-Hong Luo and Vicini S (2002) Silent synapses in developing cerebellar granule neurons, J Neurophysiol, 87(3):1263-70.
42. Dunah AW, Yasuda RP, Luo JH, Wang YH, Prybylowski KL, Wolfe BB, (1999) Biochemical studies of the structure and function of the N-methyl-D-aspartate subtype of glutamate receptors Mol Neurobiol 19:151-179
43. Qian Y, Yu YN, Chen XR, Luo JH, Xie HY, Shen BH (1998) Molecular events after antisense inhibition of hMSH2 in a HeLa cell Line. Mutation Research 418:61-71.
44. Dunah AW, Luo JH, Wang YH, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB (1998) Subunit Composition of N-Methyl-D-aspartate Receptors in the Central Nervous System that Contain the NR2D Subunit. Mol Pharmacol 53(3):429-437.
45. Vicini S, Wang JF, Li JH, Zhu WJ, Wang YH, Luo JH, Wolfe BB and Grayson DR (1998) Functional and pharmacological differences between recombinant N-methyl--aspartate receptors. J Neurophysiol 79(2):555-566
46. Luo JH, Wang Y, Yasuda RP, Dunah AW, Wolfe BB (1997) The majority of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor complexes in adult rat cerebral cortex contain at least three different subunits (NR1/NR2A/NR2B). Mol Pharmacol 51(1):79-86.
47. Dunah AW, Yasuda RP, Wang YH, Luo JH, Davila-Garcia M, Gbadegesin M, Vicini S, Wolfe BB (1996) Regional and ontogenic expression of the NMDA receptor subunit NR2D protein in rat brain using a subunit-specific antibody. J Neurochem 67(6):2335-2345.
48. Luo JH, Bosy TZ, Wang Y, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB (1996) Ontogeny of NMDA R1 subunit protein expression in five regions of rat brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 29;92(1):10-17.
49. Munir M, Lu L, Wang YH, Luo JH, Wolfe BB (1996) McGonigle P. Pharmacological and immunological characterization of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in human NT2-N neurons. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 276(2):819-828.
50. Luo JH, Wolfe BB (1995) Use of insoluble fusion proteins to purify antibodies. Biotechniques 19(4):544-546.
Ongoing Research Support
1. Ministry of Science and Technology of China, 973 Grand, 01/01/10-12/31/14, RMB 27 millions in total, Chief PI. Title: Receptor and ion-channel trafficking: structural basis, regulation and function in neuronal signaling.
2. Natural Science Foundation of China, 01/01/08-12/31/11, RMB 1.6 millions in total, PI. Title: Structural basis and regulation for differential function of NMDA receptor subtypes.